A basic question we get is “what should I do after an injury accident?” Certainly, there are more things in each list, but here are 10 basic things to do and 10 basic things to avoid to protect your valid injury claim. You can also review our post on mistakes people make in the injury claim process for more in-depth information.
What Should I Do After An Injury Accident?
10 Things to Do After a Car Crash Injury
- Check on the well-being of all people involved.
- Treat the law enforcement officer and any emergency personnel with respect, cooperation and courtesy.
- Make sure you get the other driver’s name, address, phone number and insurance information.
- Get photographs and/or videos of the vehicles, anyone’s visible injuries, and the scene of the accident.
- Get all witnesses’ names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- Explain to your doctors, nurses, physical therapists and other health care providers all of the symptoms you are experiencing and places you are having pain.
- Comply with the doctor’s directions, go to follow-up appointments and obtain the recommended treatment.
- Get back to your regular life and activities as soon as you can.
- Keep records and documentation of what happens.
- Talk to one to the best personal injury attorney.
10 Don’ts After An Car Crash Injury Accident
- Leave the scene before the police arrive unless necessary for medical care.
- Fail to report an accident if anyone may be injured, or if the damage to either vehicle is more than $1500.00.
- Give a recorded statement without fully understanding the implications.
- Discuss your injuries or case on social media.
- Exaggerate to anybody about the extent or nature of your injuries.
- “Over-do-it” while you are recovering from your injuries.
- Refuse medical attention if you or someone else is hurt.
- Be intimidated by the other driver or insurance company.
- Sign anything without understanding your rights and responsibilities.
- Fail to get available free legal advice.
Call us, We Can Help
If you have questions, call us for a free case review and evaluation. We help people all over Idaho. You can reach us by phone or text at (208) 343-7510.
One of our respected personal injury trial lawyers will talk to you.