ohn Janis is one of the most successful trial attorneys in Idaho. He has personally been responsible in full or part for a long list of impressive jury results for over three decades. These include:
- * $7.5 million dollar medical malpractice case;
- * $6.5 million dollar wrongful death case;
- * $2.6 million dollar verdict against the US government;
- * $2.1 million jury verdict in a medical malpractice case;
- * $2.2 million Judgment after trial in breach of contract case
- * $900,000 jury verdict against a developmental center
John has been with the firm since 1990. Like all partners in the firm, John is an AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated Personal Injury Lawyer. . The AV rating is a peer review rating based upon esteem amongst the legal profession. John has had numerous honors bestowed on him by his peers in the legal community, including being selected for membership in respected national organizations, such as The American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). In 2018, John was inducted as a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, a prestigious organization in which membership is limited to no more than 1% of lawyers practicing in their home state. John has also served as President of the Idaho Trial Lawyers Association, and in 2015 was named Plaintiff’s Lawyer of the Year by Best Lawyers in America.
In addition to his trial practice, John is a frequent lecturer on trial skills and civil practice to attorneys in Idaho. He also maintains his commitment to the legal profession through service on various committees such as Committee to Revise the Idaho Civil Jury Instructions and the Idaho Rules of Evidence Committee. Most recently, John was appointed by the Idaho Supreme Court to serve on the Civil Justice Reform Committee.
John graduated with Honors from the University of Idaho School of Law in 1986, where he served as Executive Editor of the Idaho Law Review. He is admitted to practice in Idaho State Courts, the Federal District Court, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
His legal acumen, self-effacing style, and presentation skill has resulted in John being a frequent lecturer for other lawyers on topics relating to civil trial practice. He has served the profession in helping revise the Idaho Jury Instructions, the Idaho Rules of Evidence, and the Rules of Civil Procedure through committee appointments from the Idaho Supreme Court. He is a member and past President of the Idaho Trial Lawyers Association, and is admitted to practice before the state courts, the federal district court, and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. John has also had substantial appellate experience, and been involved in a significant number of reported appellate decisions.
EDUCATION & ACCOLADES
- University of Idaho (JD 1986 w/honors)
- Idaho Law Review Member 1984-85, Executive Editor 1985-86
- Kean College of New Jersey (BS 1976)
- Plaintiff’s Trial Lawyer of the Year 2015 (Best Lawyers in America)
- Martindale Hubble AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Listed -The Best Lawyers in America
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Black Belt, American Kenpo
- Idaho Trial Lawyers Association (President, 2014 – 2015)
- American Association for Justice
- Idaho State Bar
- Inns of Court
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Bar
- Idaho Supreme Court Committees:
- Rules of Evidence
- Rules of Civil Procedure
- Idaho Model Jury Instructions
- National Association for Distinguished Neutrals