What to do after a car accident is a question you would rather never need to have to ask but, collisions happen. Getting in a car wreck is an unpleasant and stressful experience. It is important to try to keep a clear head afterwards and make good decisions. Here is a brief list of the things to do after a car accident of things to do to protect yourself.
- Call the police to report the accident and request medical care for injured persons.
- Do not move people who are injured unless you have the medical training to do so properly.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s).
- Collect the contact information from any applicable witnesses.
- Take pictures of the accident scene while you are waiting for help to arrive. (Take pictures of both vehicles, as well as the accident scene itself. Take pictures from multiple angles).
- If you do not require immediate medical attention, give a statement to the police.
- Do not admit anything that you are not sure is true..
- If your vehicle must be towed, know where it is going..
- Go to your doctor for a physical examination. Even if you feel fine after the accident, it’s a good idea to get checked out. Many injuries can be temporarily masked by adrenaline. If you are injured, you’ll need documentation of your injuries in order to seek reimbursement for expenses.
- Speak to your own insurance company about the collision.
- Be careful talking to the other drivers insurance company.
- Contact an experienced Idaho personal injury attorney. A personal injury attorney knows how to deal with with insurance companies and ensure that your legal rights are protected. You should meet with an attorney as soon as possible, since there is a time limit for personal injury claims and some forms of evidence can be difficult to gather once more time has passed.
Protecting Your Legal Rights
If you or someone you love is injured in a motor vehicle accident caused by a negligent driver, you may be entitled to reimbursement for the cost of medical care and other expenses. The experienced personal injury lawyers at Hepworth Holzer are committed to representing Idaho residents who have been injured due to the negligent actions of others. Please call (208) 343-7510 for a free case review.