Semi-truck accidents occur regularly. Because of their immense size and weight the injuries that victims incur are often severe.
We have handled many semi-truck accidents that were devastating for injured victims and their families. They often leave people coping with the effects of permanent injuries. And, accidents involving trucks lead to more fatalities. There are a number of special legal issues in personal injury cases involving Big Rigs in Idaho.
Common Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents
There are numerous causes of 18- wheeler truck accidents, but among he most common causes are:
- Distracted driving (use of electronics, eating, drinking, searching for items in the motor vehicle)
- Drunk/impaired driving
- Exhaustion (a common cause of trucking accidents)
- Poor weather (rain, hail, snow)
- Negligent driving actions of the operator (i.e. failure to check blind spots properly, switching lanes without proper notification to other drivers, etc.)
- Vehicle malfunction
Filing Truck Accident Claims
Should you find yourself in a truck accident, there are a few things that you must do if you plan on filing an accident claim. Here are some tips so that you know what to do if you should find yourself in this position:
- Immediately contact the police and/or ambulance if you are able;
- Collect the truck driver’s name, insurance information, the name of the trucking company, truck and trailer license plate and DOT numbers;
- Remember to take down numbers and contact information of all witnesses;
- Take pictures of the scene itself and areas around the scene (skid marks, etc.)
- Contact an experienced attorney like Kurt Holzer of Hepworth Holzer as soon as possible so that you can be properly advised.
Once you and your attorney evaluate your accident claim and start collecting evidence, your attorney will file the complaint with the courts and await a reply from the other party.
Idaho Truck Accident Attorneys
While at times it is impossible to avoid a truck collision, you do have options when considering filing a claim. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed in a truck accident, contact Kurt or another of the attorneys at Hepworth Holzer. Our team is dedicated to helping individuals and families receive compensation for injuries that could have been avoided. Our lawyers specialize in truck accident claims, so please give us a call today at (208) 343-7510 for a free case review and evaluation.